I love to eat! But I'd rather not spend a lot of time cooking. I developed these crockpot recipes with inspiration from Heaven's Banquet—Ayurvedic Vegetarian Cookbook by Miriam Hospodar, and The Ageless Woman—Natural Health & Beauty After Forty, by Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf, an expert in the system of natural medicine called ayurveda.
For a recipe index, see the Blog Archive below.
Crockpot Soupe Basics:
I'm an intuitive cook; I use words like "about" or "handful". My recipes make about four servings of hearty soup. The basic measurements are: 1/4 - 1/3 cup whole grain; approx. 1/3 cup lentils; 1.5 quarts of water; 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter, highly recommended by ayurveda) or vegetable oil; 1 teaspoon of salt; 1 rounded Tablespoon of spices; and about 3 cups of mixed veggies. I use, and recommend, organic ingredients for the purest food and optimal nutrition. I hope this blog helps you enjoy good eatin', good health, and creative cooking! I love to hear your comments.
Sincerely,
Ondine

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In praise of parsley

Okay this may be cheating a bit, but I wanted to share this article called Slim Pickings from the NY Times because it has good, realistic tips for healthy cooking on a tight budget.

I would add to these suggestions the humble parsley. Parsley is loaded with nutrients, and is cheap. What's more, you can grow it easily in a container on your porch. If you're making crockpot soups, add a handful of freshly chopped parsley right before serving.

Here's the herb bed I'm going to make, if I get my act together... Otherwise, I'll simply use a container near my kitchen door.

Nutrients in plants come from nutrients in the soil, so be sure to use quality, organic potting mix or good, clean dirt with soil amendment. Start now! Spring is upon us.

Now is also the time to check out local Community Supported Agriculture co-ops. For a seasonal subscription, you get fresh produce, often at great prices compared to grocery store prices.

No comments: