I love to eat! But I'd rather not spend a lot of time cooking. I developed these crockpot recipes with inspiration from Heaven's Banquet—Ayurvedic Vegetarian Cookbook by Miriam Hospodar, and The Ageless Woman—Natural Health & Beauty After Forty, by Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf, an expert in the system of natural medicine called ayurveda.
For a recipe index, see the Blog Archive below.
Crockpot Soupe Basics:
I'm an intuitive cook; I use words like "about" or "handful". My recipes make about four servings of hearty soup. The basic measurements are: 1/4 - 1/3 cup whole grain; approx. 1/3 cup lentils; 1.5 quarts of water; 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter, highly recommended by ayurveda) or vegetable oil; 1 teaspoon of salt; 1 rounded Tablespoon of spices; and about 3 cups of mixed veggies. I use, and recommend, organic ingredients for the purest food and optimal nutrition. I hope this blog helps you enjoy good eatin', good health, and creative cooking! I love to hear your comments.
Sincerely,
Ondine

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Mediterranean" soup with tahini and lemon curry

Approx 1/4 c Green lentils, 1/4 c of red lentils, and 1/3 c quinoa (could also use millet or cous cous), wash well then drain.
Add fresh water, filling to approx 1.5 quarts, and bring to a boil.
Transfer to Crockpot on high and go do your thing.

Later: Heat some sunflower oil on medium, add 1 full Tbsp Lemon Curry spice mix (available from healthfood stores). Sautee until fragrant, just a few seconds.
Add a tsp of finely chopped fresh ginger root.
Add prepped veggies of your choice. I used 2 zuccinis and 1 cup of chopped parsley.
Sautee veggies for a couple of minutes, then add to Crockpot.
Add 1 tsp of mineral salt.
Add half can of whole cooked garbonzo beans, and about a Tbsp of tahini.

Mix well, and ladle 'er up!

I'm loving Dr Kracker's "flatbread crackers" instead of bread, so I usually serve one (they're big and hearty) with the Soupe du Jour.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks Ondine for this blog! I have been eating vegetarian for the past year and a half, and my crockpot has been sitting idle. All the recipes I found were for meat. This will be a big help for me this summer!!!

Ondine Constable said...

Thanks for your comment Angela. I got the Lemon Curry spice mix at Greenlife in Asheville. But you can also use the Smart Spice mix I posted recently here. Add a squeeze of lemon before serving.