I love to eat! But I'd rather not spend a lot of time cooking. I developed these crockpot recipes with inspiration from Heaven's Banquet—Ayurvedic Vegetarian Cookbook by Miriam Hospodar, and The Ageless Woman—Natural Health & Beauty After Forty, by Dr. Nancy Lonsdorf, an expert in the system of natural medicine called ayurveda.
For a recipe index, see the Blog Archive below.
Crockpot Soupe Basics:
I'm an intuitive cook; I use words like "about" or "handful". My recipes make about four servings of hearty soup. The basic measurements are: 1/4 - 1/3 cup whole grain; approx. 1/3 cup lentils; 1.5 quarts of water; 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter, highly recommended by ayurveda) or vegetable oil; 1 teaspoon of salt; 1 rounded Tablespoon of spices; and about 3 cups of mixed veggies. I use, and recommend, organic ingredients for the purest food and optimal nutrition. I hope this blog helps you enjoy good eatin', good health, and creative cooking! I love to hear your comments.
Sincerely,
Ondine

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rutabaga stew

I admit, I was wary of the rutabaga. But when I go grocery shopping I scan the produce sections for anything local and decide if I want to eat it. Rutabagas caught my eye. Why not give it a try? They're healthy (healthful, actually...) and it turns out they're tasty.

Today's lunch:
1/3 cup+ brown lentils
1/3 cup+ mixed millet and brown rice
Bring to a boil 1.5 quart of vegetable stock. You could also use water with or without bouillon cubes. Let it cook in the crockpot for about an hour on high.

Heat 2 Tablespoons of ghee or olive oil, add 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add half of one small sweet onion (or use 1 tsp of hing) and one celery stalk, both finely chopped. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Simply Organic all purpose seasoning. Add one medium rutabaga, finely diced. (It smelled kind of skunky while I was peeling it, but the flesh itself is sweet.) Sautee on medium until the vegetables begin to brown slightly.

Add a few sundried tomatoes, coarsely chopped, plus 1-2 cups of broccoli florettes, and stir to coat the broccoli with the oil. Add 1 teaspoon of mineral salt.

Mix the whole shebang with the lentils and grains, and turn the crockpot to low/warm.

No comments: